Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Hummingbird nectar recipe by weight (grams)

Online resources say 1:4 sugar to water ratio by volume. This translates to about 1:5 by weight

To be more precise: 0.25 cups sugar is 48 g, 1 cup water is 237 g, so the ratio is 1:4.9375 or 0.2025:1 or 16.8% sugar by weight. For my small feeder, I do 30 g sugar to 150 g water.

Remember to use only refined white sugar. Online resources say that substitutes (e.g. organic sugar that is a bit darker) may be bad for the birds.

3 comments:

  1. For God's sake!!!! Is 2022!!! Let's say, I'm snowflake....Let's say, I'm a 3 years old child....Let's say, I'm a Golden Retriever..

    So, I have 1,000 grams water; how many grams of sugar do I need, in order to make a decent quality hummingbird nectar???

    Thank you very much!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure you want to make a liter of hummingbird nectar? It goes bad pretty fast... Anyway, 0.2025 * 1000 g = 202.5 g sugar.

      Delete
  2. If you have five or six hummingbirds, they can go through a half liter a day, so really, a liter is not that much!

    ReplyDelete